Wow. What a way to kick off season 6 - completely throw off every expectation...
There are some revelations:
1) Richard Alpert was a prisoner on the Black Rock
2) Whoever/whatever Locke is - is also the monster, and probably also the 'man in black'
3) The monster/man in black/whatever was also on the ship with Richard
4) The island's mysterious healing power is super-concentrated in the springwater. This is probably how Richard also saved the life of a young Ben Linus. However - Ben had memory loss that Richard apparently filled in...what will be with Sayid?
1) What is the ash, and why does the monster respond to it as though it were a barrier?
2) Why was Desmond on and then off the plane?
3) Who is this fella from Japan?
4) Was an alternate reality really created?
5) Why was the island underwater when Oceanic flew overhead?
Overall first impressions:
1) Great to see everyone we saw on the plane...Charlie, Claire, Boone, Frogurt. We still need to see others like Shannon, Anna Lucia, Libby, and Mr. Eko. Paolo and Nikki, anyone?
2) For crying out loud...it's the last season and Jack gets set up for having to deal with having caused Juliet's death, et al? Although - it does set Jack and John up similarly...both failed to achieve their 'destinies'/aims, so - will Jack end his own life? Will Ben help out?
3) Awesome to see Hurley come into his own.
4) Why didn't anyone take any action re: monster taking Richard?
5) Great to see the group that shlepped to the Temple so long ago. Great to see the kids and the stewardess.
More to come...